I would like to introduce you to one of my best friends, Margarita (my LDBFF). Here is a little background on our friendship… When I was 7 years old, my family moved to the scary Midwest. My family had moved around before but this time was the one where I was old enough to understand what was going on. It was a little hard for me to move away from my home and friends. So when I walked into my first day at FRA, it was nice to meet this girl, Margarita! We became besties in school and I have so many memories with her… Looking for “booby traps” in the shrubs, playing with our American Girl dolls, and obsessing about our cootie crushes. Unfortunately, two year later, my family moved back to our previous home. But, through Facebook, Skype, and the occasional snail mail, we became even better friends! Now, even though I haven’t seen her in years, she is one of my best friend in the whole entire world. I know in the years to come, she will always be there-no matter the distance. 🙂
Anyway, she’s here to write a guest tutorial on makeup. For years, I have always drooled over her makeup looks and have gone to her for her great advice! So, I hope you enjoy her lovely makeup wisdom!
Hi everyone! Matte finishes are a huge trend in beauty right now, and there is no better way to embrace it than with a bright, fun lip color for spring. Hope you enjoy this fun, yet extremely simple look.
Revlon Photoready concealer (blemishes)
Maybelline Dream Lumi Touch concealer (highlight)
Anastasia Brow Wiz
Make Up For Ever HD setting powder
Urban Decay Primer Potion
Urban Decay Naked 2 palette (Shades: Suspect (all over lid), Bootycall (only center of lid), YDK (crease)
Urban Decay 24/7 eyeliner in Underground
Benefit Eye Bright
L’Oreal Voluminous Butterfly mascara
Tarte Amazonian Clay blush in Blissful
Benefit Hoola bronzer
Revlon Colorburst Matte balm in Unapologetic
1) Start with a completely bare face (shudders)! Be sure to moisturize both your skin and lips. Super soft and smooth lips are crucial for this look.
2) Perform your everyday foundation routine. I usually like to just conceal my blemishes and highlight under the eyes. One awesome trick I’ve learned is to apply a highlighting concealer in this triangle shape under your eyes. This helps to diminish under eye bags and puffiness, conceal dark circles, and draw more attention to your eyes! When you’re finished, powder your face in the areas that you typically get oily, but try to avoid the direct under eye area. This will help keep that area looking fresh, moisturized, and bright.
3) Brows are so important in a look like this, because with bright lips, people tend to under-define the eyes! To keep the eyes in balance, fill in your eyebrows and slightly accentuate your arch. I’m using a super thin-point and firm pencil by Anastasia that makes filling in brows foolproof.
4) For a simple yet defined eye look, I used the Urban Decay Naked 2 palette. Using the shade Suspect, apply this from your lash line to your crease, blending it on the way up. As demonstrated in the photo, to create a 3 dimensional highlighted effect, I applied Bootycall on the center of my lid directly above my pupil and iris. Doing this will create the illusion of bigger, brighter eyes. Blend these two shadows together, then blend YDK into the crease to further define the eye.
5) Blend YDK under the lash line to create a smoky effect. I used a pointed fluffy brush to create a diffused yet precise effect.
6) To line the eyes, use Benefit Eye Bright in the inner corner and inner third of the waterline, then line the rest of your waterline with your favorite dark brown eyeliner. Try to stay away from black eyeliner for this look. We want the look to remain bright and for the eyeshadow on your lash line to blend seamlessly into the color on the waterline.
7) My favorite part of every eye look- mascara! Apply two coats of your favorite.
8) Finish your face with your favorite bronzer and blush. I typically apply my bronzer in the “e and 3” method (I can explain this further if you’d like!) and apply my blush onto the direct high points of my cheekbones. (No photo for this one, sorry Liv 😦 )
9) Now for the main event! Apply Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm in Unapologetic to your lips, starting at the middle and working your way to the corners of your lips. This stuff stays feels like a dream and stays on like nobody’s business! One trick I’ve learned to make this balm last all night (literally… even after eating) is to really press it into your lips with your finger after application.
10) You’re finished!! Enjoy your bold, fuss-free look that works for both day and night. Bring your balm with you in case you do need to re-apply!